Teacher: Miss Cook
Name: Miss Cook
Likes: Holidays, shopping and dogs
Dislikes: Spiders and scary films
Favourite film: Anything with a happy ending!
Favourite book: Harry Potter
Favourite food: Bruschetta and Pringles
Favourite subject: Maths and PE
If you weren’t a teacher what would you be & why? Anything that could combine working with children and travelling the world.
Who is your hero/heroine? Mrs Hinch - I love to organise!
Please take a look at our blog below to see what exciting things we have been up to in class.
If you have time, please leave us a comment - we love to see them!
Support staff: Miss Wilkinson, Mrs Hodgson and Miss Murphy
Our wonderful class
Class blog - take a look at what we have been up to!
Documents to download
Welcome to The Hub!
Posted: Oct 18, 2019 by: admin on: The Hub
Here is a little bit of information about us…
The purpose of The Hub is to provide another option for key stage two pupils with significant special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and an Education, Health and Care plan (EHC) to access high quality, personalised teaching and learning. The Hub is essentially an extension of Highbury specialist school but based within a mainstream setting; Copley School.
Aims of the Hub
- To provide highly personalised education which is planned according to the needs and priorities of individuals with SEND
- To ensure that all children experience success in their learning and benefit from increased self-esteem and confidence.
- To prioritise functional skills that will ensure children’s access to the wider world and their safety.
- To provide carefully planned and tracked opportunities to lessons and activities in the wider school to ensure the hub offers genuine integration and access to age appropriate peer groups.
- To provide an environment where pupils can learn successfully at a pace and in a way which best suits their needs.
- To recognise and support the contribution of the wider family.
- To support pupils to develop effective learning behaviour which leads to increased self-regulation and participation.
- To fully exploit the expertise of hub staff in securing best possible outcomes for all pupils.
Teaching and Learning
Children in the hub will be taught in a small class group of between 8-10 pupils. There will be a teacher in charge and three support assistants *this may vary depending on pupil need. Teaching styles within the hub will vary according to the needs of the pupils and what is being taught. At times the children will be taught as a whole class, in smaller groups or individually. Children will learn in a multi-sensory way to support them to recall and apply their learning through concrete experiences and active approaches. The best research will be utilised to ensure that children with specific learning difficulties will have access to evidenced based approaches. The environment will support pupils to develop learning behaviour and meta-cognitive skills. There will be different learning zones in the classroom each with a different emphasis.
Similarly to children in mainstream provisions, the children in the Hub complete the following lessons each week:
- Literacy (inc Phonics)
- Topic (incorporating aspects of History, Geography, Art, DT and Music)
We also do weekly social communication, motor skills, swimming and cooking. There may be times when pupils need to be taught mainly in the hub. However, it is anticipated that there will be lots of opportunities for pupils to be taught in Copley classes. This may be linked to a specific topic. For example, if a pupil in the hub has an interest in history they may join in with lessons on the Tudors. If a child has an aptitude for sport they could participate in some of the PE lessons. At all times, inclusion into the wider school will be carefully planned and monitored to ensure that outcomes are achieved and pupils feel confident and happy. It will be important to offer pupils in the hub the opportunity to experience larger class sizes with mainstream peers who provide excellent examples for language and learning behaviour.
Teacher in Charge: Miss Cook
Teaching Assistant: Miss Moyers